Konza Technopolis represents a strategic opportunity to invest in the growth of the ICT sector in Kenya as well as the country’s overall economy. When completed, Konza Technopolis will be a world-class technology hub, home to leading companies in education, life sciences, telecom, and BPO/ITES. Commercial space for these uses will be complemented by diverse residential neighborhoods, hotels, a variety of retail offerings, community facilities, and other public amenities. Konza Technopolis will be a walkable city, one that includes high-quality public spaces, active and varied amenities, and short commute times between destinations.
Konza Technopolis offers excellent connections within Kenya and the rest of the world through land and air. Konza is located 60 kilometers from Nairobi, Kenya’s capital and largest city. The A109 highway connects Konza to Nairobi, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, and Mombasa, the primary port of entry to East Africa and Kenya’s second largest city. Konza’s world class infrastructure, high connectivity, active public realm, and cosmopolitan environment will allow companies to attract top talent and companies to the region.
Konza Technopolis will offer a full range of infrastructure, communications, and transportation amenities:
- Roads. Two roadways will provide access to Konza Technology City. Phase 1 will include one interchange with the A109, with two to three more interchanges proposed for future phases. Konza Road will run through the City and provide access to the west side of Konza. Within Konza, a system of attractive, multimodal boulevards will provide access to all uses.
- Water and Wastewater. Konza Technopolis is committed to sustainable water use. Konza will lay out a water reuse system, which will include a tertiary treatment plant where treated water will be used for irrigation and cooling. All buildings in Konza will be required to incorporate the latest water management systems in their designs. Other water sources will include an allocation from the Thwake Dam, currently under development, and on-site groundwater.
- On-site Transit. Konza Technopolis will be a walkable, bikeable, and transit-friendly city. A bus transit network will provide service along the main east-west axis in Phase 1, and will be extended in future phases. A transit hub next to the A109 interchange will be the primary station for Konza, with interim capacity to accommodate bus passengers and future capacity to accommodate commuter rail service to Nairobi.
- Power. Residents and businesses located at Konza Technopolis will enjoy a steady and reliable electrical supply to be provided by three independent power sources. The Technopolis will be connected to two independent distribution lines, the first being a 400kV line running 40 kilometers west of Konza and a 132 kV line running adjacent to Konza. On-site solar power generation is also under consideration.
- Communications. The Technopolis’ strategic location will allow the city to be directly connected to all four underwater fiber optic cables in Kenya. These high capacity lines will ensure high connection speeds, allowing companies and residents to enjoy video, data, and voice internet capabilities. The city’s privileged location also ensures access to any further improvements in Kenya’s fiber optic infrastructure.